Apprenticeship Hog Roast & Events Chef
The Pendle Pig Ltd
Holker Business Centre
This a is a varied and interesting role as a Hog Roast & Events Chef will prepare various fresh food menu items on location for events. The role will include involvement in marketing, administrative duties and menu preparation as well as supporting the coordination of the events.
Weekly wage: £130.00
Working week: 30 hrs with overtime opportunities
Apprenticeship duration: 12 Months
Full clean UK Driver’s license essential with use of company vehicle
Apprenticeship level: Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
The hog roast cook will be responsible for cooking a roast on a spit or roasting tray as well as preparing other items on the menu.
These include lamb, chicken, vegetarian dishes, salads, fresh apple sauce, stuffing, fried onions, chipolata sausages, laying out rolls in bread basket, preparing sandwiches and laying out buffet platters. The role will also require assisting the supervisor in running an event.
Duties for an apprentice are split between the event day and the days leading up to the event.
A typical work week should be one of the following 4 days, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, with hopefully Wednesday / Thursdays as an office/ purchasing/preparation day and Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays event days.
An office/purchasing day would include:
- Menu preparation
- Inventory checks- food and other
- Purchasing- online or at wholesalers and suppliers
- Calendar management
An event day would include:
- Loading van with menu items and cooking equipment
- Offloading items at the event
- Setting up cooking, menu and prep equipment
- Prepare menu items at event location
- Set up the roast on pole or roasting tray
- Fill out control documents – that is, temperatures of cool boxes, time of cooking, cooking temperature of meat, incidents reports etc.
- Supervise cooking meat
- Carve meat
- Serve menu items
- When serving is over, pack up all equipment and leave the premises in pristine condition
- On both days the successful candidate will have full guidance through the availability of an operation manual, the Operations Manager of The Pendle Pig Ltd and Head Office.
Desirable attributes and role requirements:
- Team player
- Excellent customer service
- Problem solver
- Heavy lifting involved (such as pig on pole, hog roast machine)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Applications
- Flexible working hours (desirable but not necessary) – weekends most likely
Some knife skills would be good. Computer knowledge – checking emails, excellent communication and customer service skills.
A passion for cooking, great with customers, honest, attention to details, punctual, flexible approach to work
Food and Hygiene- levels 2 & 3
Fire and first-aid
(if you do not have these certifications, arrangements will be made for you to gain the relevant qualifications)
The Pendle Pig Ltd is part of a franchise and hopes to expand to different territories, for example Manchester and Leeds. We hope this can take place in the next 12-24 months. A candidate that shows potential can move into a Cook / Franchisor Supervisor role where they can form a more permanent part of our team.
About the employer
A Hog Roast for any occasion!
The Pendle Pig Ltd are a family run hog roast company offering roast hog and other menu items for all types of events including your very special wedding hog roast, village fetes, garden parties even Granny’s 80th birthday party.